Friday, June 18, 2010

the world

I told her to look up. Given the choice, I say, always look up. With my finger I traced the outline of an upside down elephant and his misshapen trunk. In between her gasps and sobs she said she saw it and wondered if I saw her dinosaur to the left of my elephant. The clouds were on the move so I lied, worried that I would miss it anyway. "Oh...yeah" I said and she seemed satisfied. The game had momentarily taken her mind off of the fact that she couldn't breathe, but she was back at it again. "I'm going to die. And I just keep thinking about how my dog died, and about how my grandmother died five years ago..." She wanted something from me. I laid back on the hot, prickly grass that poked my arms and neck like needles. "Look at them...one second an elephant, the next a dinosaur, the next..."

If you give anything time, it can be something else.

"And you, you have all the time in the world."

No comments:

Post a Comment