Monday, January 18, 2010

a regret within itself

“He who spends time regretting the past loses the present and risks the future”

I came across this today and wondered if I was the only one who thinks regretting isn't the most terrible thing in the world. I believe it is in fact healthy, proof of metacognition and growth.

Okay, I get the sentiment. Don't dwell. Make peace. Move on. Fine, I agree.

BUT

I regret decisions - the lack of decisions. I regret words - the lack of words. I understand that this thought will not fix what has happened, but I also understand that if the situation were to arise again I should say yes, I will take you to the doctor. Without hesitation.

And I wonder, if we don't regret...how will we know next time to silence our angry mouth or say goodbye to a love that is dead much much sooner rather than watching it rot into unrecognizable entities.

Regret can be heavy. But lack of regret can be too light. Find a balance I say: Regret. Evolve. Then live.

No comments:

Post a Comment